Kurt and I headed to the Big Apple this past weekend for our Babymoon! It was freezing all weekend, but that didn't stop us from having a great time.
We began our journey on Saturday morning by way of charter bus. There are so many bus services in our area that go up to New York several times a day. It's actually a rather affordable way to travel, if you can stand sitting on a bus for 4 hours. After a quick stop half-way through our trip, we arrived in NYC at about 1:00. We hailed a cab and headed to our hotel, the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Fortunately, our room was ready, so we were able to get an early check in. Our room was on the 23rd floor, looking out over Times Square. Completely awesome!
Since it was nearly 2:00 by this time, we were both starving, so we headed a few blocks away to John's Pizzeria. My brother-in-law used to work near Rockefeller Center, so he highly recommended that we hit up John's. It did not disappoint!
After lunch, we headed back to the hotel to add more layers to our wardrobes. Did I mention it was freezing, with 45 MPH wind gusts? I had to buy a hat and scarf from a street vendor (fake Burberry!), otherwise I would not have survived the weekend. After warming up, we decided to head back out into the arctic and make our way up 5th Avenue to Dylan's Candy Bar and Serendipity 3. On our way, stopped at FAO Schwartz and picked up the most adorable little teddy bear for the little bambino. We thought it would be neat to tell him when he is older that we went to NYC on a trip before he was born and we bought the bear for him while we were there. Hopefully Macey doesn't make it one of her new chew toys before then!
We got some candies and other treats at Dylan's and decided we were ready to head up to Serendipity 3 for dessert. If you haven't noticed yet, this was a food-themed trip! So, we walk about half a block up the street to Serendipity and are met with the shock of a 3 hour wait! Yes, you read that correctly...3 FREAKING HOURS! I was disappointed because that was one of the places I really wanted to go on this trip. I felt defeated! So, we did the next best thing...we hailed a cab (because I was so excited to get there, I didn't realize that we had walked like 20 city blocks!) and headed to Magnolia Bakery!
If you've visited New York City before and haven't hit up Magnolia Bakery, you are missing out! One of the best bakeries I have ever been to and I've been to a lot of them! We decided to go all out and got a few desserts to taste: Vanilla cake with vanilla frosting, Key Lime Mini-Pie, and Banana Cream Pudding. We also shared a hot chocolate, which I must say was one of the best hot chocolates I've ever had! We walked back to the hotel and sampled our delicious desserts. Luckily our room had a mini-fridge, so we were able to keep what we didn't eat (most of it, actually) for later.
After I took a little nap, and Kurt watched a hockey game, we walked to a little burger place for dinner and then headed home. We were both beat from our busy day in the city!
Stay tuned for our day 2 recap tomorrow!








yay!! Looks like sooooo much fun.
ReplyDeleteI love getting away with S, just the two of us.
I am so glad you got to do this.
PS- YOU LOOK SO STINKIN' CUTE!!
Ahh this looks like SO much fun! What a great getaway! :)
ReplyDelete