Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mini Egg FAIL!

These little eggs of joy are one of my favorite Easter candies.  I love the crisp of the outer shell and the smooth chocolate inside.  They are my guilty pleasure of this season.

Imagine my heartbreak when I recently had a terrible Mini Egg experience.  I bought a bag (my second third...who are we kidding!...of the season) at Target the other day.  When I got home, I opened them bag up to have a couple for a treat.  The shell was soft and almost mushy.  The inside chocolate tasted like chalk.  Bleh!!  They were terrible.  It was almost like they had melted and rehardened.

I went on the Hershey's website (can we also talk about how I had no idea Cadbury was a Hershey company?!) and filed a complaint.  Who does that for a $2.00 bag of candy?!  I was really disappointed though!  Yesterday, I got this back from a customer service rep:


Thank you for contacting us about CADBURY MINI EGGS Candy. I am sorry you were disappointed and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Chocolate contains cocoa butter which makes the product sensitive to heat, humidity, and changes in temperature. Exposure to these conditions may cause a harmless discoloration on the surface of the bar known as cocoa butter bloom. At excessive temperatures chocolate can melt, causing the bar to look misshapen and tan in color with a loss of flavor. To help our products reach you in good condition, we have printed instructions on our shipping cases to inform all distributors of the proper handling and storage of our products.We apologize for the problem you experienced with our product. You will receive reimbursement by postal mail in two weeks. We appreciate your loyalty as a consumer.

So, it looks like a couple dollars are headed my way from Hershey.  Good thing I already went back to Target and got another bag!  One bad experience won't keep me away!

1 comment:

  1. I would have done the same thing...don't mess with my Easter candy!!

    ReplyDelete