No, baby boy didn't decide to make an early appearance into the world! But, I do have a new sidekick that I'll be toting around for the next eight weeks until he does...
(Just like this, except mine is a pretty blue color!)
At my doctor's appointment on Tuesday, I found out that three out of four of my glucose tests were elevated, which means I've been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I'm not going to lie, I was devastated to hear this. I started crying in the doctor's office, continued crying in the car (and managed to rear-end someone during it all), and finished crying once I got home.
Today, I met with a diabetes counselor at the hospital, who went through my plan with me. She gave me an eating schedule for meals and snacks, along with the grams of carbs I should be eating at each time. I received several lists of different meal and snack ideas, which was something I was really interested in getting. Finally, she gave me my new sidekick, my blood tester kit, and taught me how to use it. That's what I was most scared about. I said to her several times, "I don't wanna do it. I'm scared!" But I must admit, it doesn't even hurt. When we tested my blood so I could learn how to use the tester, it was actually low, which meant I needed a snack. It was a long appointment, but I feel like I have the answers I need.
We just went to Fuddruckers, a burger place, for dinner, so I was wondering how I'd manage to eat a burger and keep things in check. I ended up taking the top off the bun, piling on lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles, and then ate it with a fork and knife. Instead of fries on the side (I admit that I did have a few of Kurt's!), I ordered a side salad, and just had water to drink. When I tested just a few minutes ago, I was exactly where I needed to be! Hallelujah!
Though I'll miss the ice cream, cake, and other desserts and fruit and snacks whenever I want, I think I'll be able to manage. I know that there are people out there with Type I diabetes who have this for their entire lives. Eight weeks seems like an eternity right now, but I can get through it!









Sorry you're having to deal with it, but it sounds like you have in under control! I know that sweet boy will be worth it though! :)
ReplyDeleteOh Kate. That day does not sound fun at all! You really rear ended someone in the mix of all that?! Bless your heart. I am so glad you got to talk to someone who helped you get it all figured out. Sounds like you are making wise choices. Here is to a speedy and healthy 8 more weeks!
ReplyDelete