Thursday, March 10, 2011

Round 2

So, after my glucose test last Tuesday, I was feeling pretty good about things.  My doctor said he didn't suspect there would be a problem, as my weight gain has been good and there was nothing else that would make him think I would have gestational diabetes.  I had kind of moved on from worrying about it. That was until I got a message on my phone at 6:05 PM  on Wednesday night.  A nurse called and left me a message that my score of 149 was above the cut-off of 140, so I would need to go in for additional testing. Of course, since it was after 6:00, I couldn't call back (and I must say, my phone never rang when she left me the message...interesting) to get my questions answered.  So, I did what any girl would do:  I called Kurt first, then my parents crying.  I was SO upset!


I was able to call my doctor's office on Thursday to get some more information and the lovely internet answered a lot of my questions as well.  The nurse at the doctor's office informed me that I would need to make an appointment at a lab for a 3-hour glucose test.  I went online immediately to make my appointment, which ended up being today.  


With the 3-hour test, they do a fasting blood sample when you first arrive and then another sample every hour for three hours.  I wasn't able to eat or drink anything (even water) after midnight because the fasting sample needs to be on an empty stomach.  Kurt dropped me off at the lab at 9:00 for my 9:15 appointment.  When I walked up to the counter, the tech said to me, "Please don't tell me you are here for a three hour glucose test."  Hmm.  I explained to her that I had made my appointment online and then also called the lab to verify what I needed to bring.  Apparently if you need a three hour test, you must call to make the appointment.  Everything worked out, and the tech, who ended up being awesome and my new BFF, took good care of me!  She kept calling me "Momma!"  When it was time to do my next draw she'd say, "Come on Momma, let's do this!" and at the end, she gave me a hug!


As someone who has always had a gigantic fear of needles (I got out of a cholesterol test in 4th grade because I turned green just looking at the finger prick thingy!), I must say that I've surprised even myself with all of these blood draws.  I know that I have to take a deep breath when they put the needle in, and I must look the other way while it's all happening--my two little strategies that help me cope!


Once I said my good-byes to my BFF, Sharlise the tech, Kurt picked me up and we went to Chickfila to celebrate that I got through it.  Now, I sit here with bruises on my arms and wait to hear the outcome!  Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. oh jeez Kate! I am so sorry. I was so worried I would have to do this with C. I hope it all turns out well. Thank goodness for your new BFF! :)

    ReplyDelete