Thursday, January 19, 2012

Waterbaby!


Sam has always been a fan of the water.  He loves bath time, which is part of our nightly routine, and he seemed to like the fews times he was in a swimming pool last summer at just a couple months old.  Kurt and I feel that it's really important for him to feel comfortable in the water, especially since we are members of our neighborhood pool and my in-laws live near the water and have a boat.  Kurt was on his neighborhood swim team for many years, so we decided that he'd be the one to take a swim class with Sam (it has nothing to do with the fact that I wouldn't be caught dead in a bathing suit right now!).

Our county rec program offers a class called Waterbabies for children 6-18 months old, which is held at a local indoor pool on Saturday afternoons.  We've had two classes so far and Sam has really enjoyed it!  He's learned to float on his back (while Kurt holds him), kick, blow bubbles, bob up and down, hang on to the side, push off the wall, and jump into the pool.  Next week, they are putting their heads under!  I was that mom with tears in my eyes during the first class.  It was so cool to see him so relaxed and comfortable in the water.



I'm sure we'll be spending a lot of time at the pool this summer!  Look out baby pool!  

4 comments:

  1. That class sounds awesome. I think it's wonderful he's starting so early & that your husband is doing it with him.

    He's a cute little fish!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that he's getting used to the water so early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Sam!!! You are getting so big!
    Kate, not sure why Ive been missing your posts, but I'm playing catch up today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, he is just the cutest thing! We did the swim lessons, and our kids have loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete