Beth's Friday Fives topic for this week is:
5 things you remember about September 11th
1. I was student teaching on September 11, 2001. At the time the planes went into the towers, my students were at music and another teacher called me into her room to show me what was on the t.v. I couldn't believe my eyes.
2. I remember going to the Teacher's Lounge to eat lunch and hearing the other teachers talk about "Bin Laden." I quite honestly thought they were talking about someone named "Ben Laden." That was the first of many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of times I would hear that name in the next nine years.
3. The school where I student taught was close to a Naval base and many of the students' parents worked on base. Within 15 minutes of hearing about what was going on in New York and at the Pentagon (which was only about an hour away from our school), so many parents started showing up to pick up their children early. We weren't allowed (and understandably) to have our t.v.s on, so we got a lot of our information about what was going on from the parents as they stopped at school.
4. After school let out, I drove back to my college campus and remember how silent and empty the campus was. Our campus was always filled with people doing things outside, so it was really odd. Classes were canceled for the rest of the day, and students were glued to their televisions.
5. I mostly remember watching the television broadcasts over and over with my roommates and friends. We had so many emotions as we watched, but mostly sadness for all those who lost their lives.
9/11...Always remember.









I can't imagine what those Naval families were feeling at the time. It affected so many people, but especially our military.
ReplyDeleteThank you for doing the Fives this week!
ReplyDeleteI cant imagine being so close to that Naval base and seeing those people and seeing there shock! I feel like everyone still feels the same emotions that they did on that day.
I hope you have a great weekend!
I was a senior in high school. I remember my mom calling my cell phone and asking me to come home. Since I drove and had my car there. It was so scary!
ReplyDelete