Wednesday, July 14, 2010

OBXcited! Day 1

Every other year, since 2001, my family, along with my aunts, uncles, and cousins from my mom's side, travel to the Outer Banks of North Carolina for a week-long family vacation.  Our wedding in 2007 messed up the scehdule, so we now go during the even years. 


Our first year, we stayed in Duck, which is one of the more well-known OBX towns.  The past four times, we've stayed in a lesser-known town between Duck and Corolla called Pine Island.  I love the location of Pine Island, because it is between the two bigger towns. 


As I mentioned yesterday, Kurt and I left for the beach at 1:00 AM on Saturday.  We got there at 5:45, right in time for sunrise.  We rushed to the beach to take some pictures!




Nothing is open on the Outer Banks at 6:00 AM!  At about 6:30, we found a bagel place, so Kurt, my cousin, Kourtney, her boyfriend, Matt, and I chowed down.  We were all starving!  We then headed to a public beach to take naps.  It got hot so quickly!  Needless to say, there was not a lot of sleeping happening!

At about 11:00, we headed back down to Duck to do some shopping and to find a place to watch the World Cup.  Apps and drinks before noon!  I think we were all running on adrenaline here!  After the game, the guys bought some beer and went and sat in the driveway of our house until we could check in.  The rest of our family started arriving, so Kourtney and I met some of them at Duck Deli, one of our favorite spots, for lunch.  After lunch, we did a little more shopping and then headed up to the house. 

We could finally check in at 4:00 PM, so I headed up to the rental office to take care of all of that.  Once I got back, we found our rooms and began the unpacking and unloading process for the week.  We ate dinner and headed down to the beach for fishing and looking for ghost crabs. 

All in all, day 1 at the beach was a success!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! I haven't been to OBX in ages and hope to get back one day! I'll have to check into Pine Island!

    Glad you had a great first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks gorgeous there! Have a great time, I'm jealous!!~Andrea

    ReplyDelete