
It's Friday, so that means it's "Show Us Your Life" over at Kelly's Korner. The theme for this week is favorite books. As an elementary school teacher, a lot of the books I read are children's books. I don't do a lot of reading for pleasure, because, quite honestly, by the time I get home, the last thing I want to do to relax is read some more. I'd much rather be on the computer or watch t.v. I do read on vacation, though, so I need to get my stack of books ready for our trip to the Outer Banks in July.
My favorite children's books are:
Charlotte's Web
This is one of our third grade core books, so I've read it many times with my students, but I remember reading it a few times when I was young, too. I think it's probably one of my mom's favorites, also, as she always loved reading it when she was a 3rd grade teacher. Even after reading it so many times, I still get choked up at the end. What's even worse is listening to a tape (yes, my school still uses cassette tapes!) of E.B. White reading it. So much emotion in his voice!
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
I think everyone has had one of those days! This has also been one of my favorites for a long time! I've loved the illustrations, even though they are very basic, since I was young. We use this book to teach point of view.
The Mitten
Taking it back to my Ukranian heritage! Fantastic illustrations!
First Day Jitters
I read this book to my students every year on the first day of school. I think it's important that they know that they aren't the only ones with butterflies in their tummies on the first day of school!
When I do read for pleasure, I really enjoy anything by Jodi Picoult, like
The Pact
My friends from school and I had a book club (that kinda fizzled out...) for a couple of years and they introduced me to Jodi Picoult. I really love her books!
My Sister's Keeper
Loved the book! Hated that they changed the ending in the movie.
I also have recently found that I like Nicholas Sparks' books, like
Dear John
I never saw the movie, and I'm not sure I want to. I've heard it wasn't as good as the book.
Also, my principal lent me this book a few summers ago
The Glass Castle
I couldn't put it down!
What are your favorite books? I need some summer reading recommendations!
















I am HUGE Jodi Picoult fan as well! Love her! I recommend The Help by Kathryn Stockett, I am currently reading it - very good.
ReplyDeleteThe Help is soooo good. I am reading The Glass Castle now and loving it!
ReplyDeleteWhat good ideas for children's books! I love Charlotte's Webb! I as so excited when I saw you posted/I know I'm weird LOL, cause I know your a teacher and all and I couldn't wait to hear your choices so I could have some ideas of some older kids books when Kelcee is like in PreSchool and Kindergarten!!
ReplyDeleteI want to read Dr. John soooo bad....think I'm a gonna now
Have a great weeknd
Summer :0)
Oh my gosh - I totally forgot about Charlotte's Web and Alexander and no good, terrible, very bad day - such cute children's books.. and you can't go wrong with Nicholas Sparks books - they are awesome!
ReplyDeleteAh... Love Charlottes Web what a great one! I just wrote down the Glass House to check out! Great PIcks! Happy Friday!
ReplyDeleteGreat books...I LOVED Charlotte's Web growing up.
ReplyDeleteAlso, if you like Nicholas Sparks then you have to read The Last Song! Great book and great movie.
ReplyDeleteI loved all your picks! Especially Charlotte's Web! Thanks for sharing and nice to meet you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your love of children's books! You and your students will love tiger tales books (I hope!). We are a small publisher of whimsical, colorful, touching, magical picture books and board books for young children. Please check us out on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Wilton-CT/tiger-tales/183496001305?ref=ts
ReplyDeleteHappy Reading,
Elizabeth
tiger tales
I've never read any of Jodi Picolt's books, but I've heard so many good things about them I really want to start someday.
ReplyDeleteJust clicked on your blog from Kelly's Korner. Don't watch Dear John-huge bummer. I read it and it is one of my all time favorite books and I was mad when I left the theater! Totally changed the ending. Book is soooo much better!
ReplyDeletei have 4 Jodi P book sitting waiting for me to read, and I loved glass houses have you read her other one....??? Found you thru this fun blog hop... stop by if you have time..
ReplyDeletehttp://nf1andpre-kwhisper.blogspot.com