No, seriously, I did. Well, I guess it was more like, "I feel the house move under my bed."
This morning at 5:03 AM, our house shook for what seemed like a minute (but was probably only like 10 seconds) due to a 3.6-magnitude earthquake. The center of the earthquake was just about ten or so miles from our house, so we really felt it. We have Annie, my bro-in-law's golden retriever, here with us this week. I really think the dogs sensed something was about to happen, because Kurt had literally just gotten out of bed to tend to the dogs because they were whining. I'm typically a heavy sleeper, but something woke me up right before the house started shaking.
I was definitely half asleep, but remember saying to Kurt, "I think we're having an earthquake." So, I did what anyone would do at 5:03 in the morning...I grabbed my phone and went to Facebook to update my status: Is it just me or did we just have an earthquake? Within the next hour, I had several people respond that they also felt it. We then turned on the news and they weren't talking about it yet, so I thought it was just us...maybe there was an accident on the metro, which is fairly close to our house. A few minutes later, the "Breaking News" screen came on and they started talking about it.
We did feel two after shocks, which was weird. I swear I heard a sound like a train just seconds before the after shocks hit. I didn't think earthquakes made sounds, but apparently they do. Kurt's grandmother, who lives just a few miles away, also reported that it sounded like a train was going through their basement.
Thankfully, there were no injuries or damage. All in all, it was a strange morning. We live in Maryland for goodness sakes! Earthquakes don't happen here! Well, I guess they do!








Glad you're okay! My SIL just moved to Maryland and was surprised to experience an earthquake of all things!!
ReplyDelete