Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Wishful Wednesday!


This is my first time participating in Kelsey's Wishful Wednesday.  The topic for this week is...

'I wish' .... I was fluent in another language, in addition to English, and it would be ________!

Spanish.  Definitely Spanish.  As a teacher in a fairly diverse school, I wish I was fluent in Spanish so I could communicate (through coversation and e-mail) with some of my students' parents who only speak Spanish.  Out of my 28 students, three of them have parents who speak very little English.  I feel bad when I have to have an interpreter at conferences or use the Language Line to call home. I avoid e-mail at all costs with those families because my written Spanish is far worse than my speaking/understanding. Clearly, my four years of Spanish in high school and two semesters in college did not stick with me!
 
In which language would you want to be fluent?

4 comments:

  1. Girl I hear ya on this one, I don't think my two years of Spanish stuck very well either! I have been working with Kelcee alot since she was little and she watches Dora alot and I am proud to say she can count to ten in spanish and say hi in spanish pretty impressive for a three year old huh....

    So I am with you girlie I wish I could speak better Spanish cause I think my 3 year old can speak more of it then me ha!

    xoxo
    Summer ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great reason to learn Spanish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you aren't giving yourself enough credit!! I think submerging yourself in the language would be the best way to learn it! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete