This week's "Show Us Your Life" is Proposal Stories. For some reason, I thought this topic was on the schedule for a few weeks ago, but I was wrong. At any rate, I'm reposting our story with some pics of our wedding day. Thanks for stopping by!
The new Mr. and Mrs. walking out of church
Our engagement story is one that I love to tell! It's funny, sweet, and very Kurt! Let me set the scene for you:
It was Friday, July 21, 2006. I was taking summer classes for my Master's degree, so a lot of my free time during the days was being spent doing school work. That day, however, was spent babysitting. I was really beat from my adventures with two little ones, so I decided to take a nap when I got home. Kurt had called me several times...and I ignored his calls because I was napping. Finally, after ignoring it for probably five times, I answered my phone. Kurt was probably sweating it at this point! He was calling to find out what I wanted to do for dinner that night.
Now, let me explain a little here. I am always the one to bring up dinner. I am typically starving by dinner time, due to my early lunch time. For Kurt to bring up plans for dinner was unusual, but I didn't think much of it. He kept talking about how he wanted to order from a local Chinese restaurant. He insisted on calling to place the order (all part of his little plan!), so I told him what I wanted: sweet and sour chicken with white rice. Remember the rice...it's important in this story!
Kurt arrived home and a little while letter, the delivery man knocked on our door. We lived in our condo at the time, so I didn't think anything of it when the delivery man was all smiles when he knocked on the door. I figured he'd go to the wrong condo or was just super happy or something! Anyway, Kurt got the food and took it over to the counter. In my typical "Give me food...NOW!" style, I began opening up all of the containers immediately, trying to get food onto my plate as quickly as I could. When I lifted up the box to pour some rice on my plate, I noticed that the rice box was really light. I specifically remember saying, "Jeez, they didn't put enough freaking rice in here." Again...all part of Kurt's plan.
I opened the rice container and saw very little rice. In fact, there was no rice in the container. Instead, there was a ring box. I took out the box (I think a lot of "Oh My Gosh!"s and "Are you kidding me?"s were happening at this point) and looked over at Kurt who was on one knee. He said a lot of really nice stuff (is it bad that I don't remember what he said?!), started crying, and asked me to marry him! I'm not sure that I ever cried. I just couldn't get over how he asked me! I was so excited! I, of course, said "YES!" and tried on the beautiful ring!
There was a note in the ring box that said, "Put the food in the fridge. Limo is coming at 6:30!" Kurt had arranged for a limo to come pick us up and take us into DC for dinner at an Italian restaurant. We called our families and friends, drove around the monuments downtown, had dinner (complete with our own personalized menu!), and then went to my sister's place for champagne. It was a magical night that I will never forget!
So how did the ring get into the rice box, you ask? Kurt had his friend, Brandon, meet the delivery guy downstairs. Brandon had the ring box ahead of time. He dumped the rice into the dumpster and replaced it with the ring box. He said he tried to explain to the delivery man what was going on, but he didn't seem to get it!
Later on, I found out that at a Happy Hour for Kurt's work earlier in the week, my engagement was the hot topic. Apparently Kurt's coworkers were all trying to give him ideas on how to do it, but what he actually did was a plan he came up with on his own! I also found out that Kurt had called my parents the week before to ask for their permission/blessing to marry me (which I love by the way...big props to all the guys out there who ask for the bride's parents' blessing!). My mom and I talk on the phone nearly every day, so for her not to say anything for a full week was a big accomplishment!
My family outside of our house
My sister and I
With the Bridesmaids and Flower Girl
Sealed with a kiss!
Can you believe I don't have any pictures of us from the night of the engagement? I think I was so caught up in the moment, that I didn't think to take my camera with me!








I love your story! I remember you calling me that night! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat story!
ReplyDeleteWow...he did very well!! Love your wedding photos!
ReplyDeleteI think that's such a cute story! What a way to surprise you!
ReplyDelete