Saturday, March 6, 2010

Show Us Your Life- My Typical Day!

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

Over at Kelly's Korner it's all about a typical day.  Here's a day in my life, a third grade teacher and wife. 


6:30 AM- My alarm goes off.  It's really only 6:15, though.  Kurt has always had a thing about setting his alarm clock 15 minutes early, so I kind of fell into doing the same through association.  It's a weird thing that helps in the morning! I usually press snooze once and then turn on the news.  When it's really 6:20 (so my clock would say 6:35), I get up and get moving.

6:20-7:00- Shower, get dressed, blowdry and straighten hair, put on makeup.

7:00-7:15- Feed Macey and let her out, pack my lunch, get all of my things together and head out the door

7:15-7:35- Drive to work.  Macey goes to Doggie Daycare a couple days a week, so on those days, I have to drop her off.  Yes, I have been made fun of on several occasions for sending my dog to daycare.  It makes our lives (and her life) so much better, I promise!  It's worth the money!

7:40- Arrive to school.  Make sure I have everything ready for the day.  Talk to my intern (student teacher) about the day and make sure she is prepared for what she needs to do for the day.


8:00-8:40- Check my e-mail, make copies, gossip with my friends and co-workers

8:45- The little angels arrive for the day.  Greet them and start the day.


8:45-12:10- Mrs. B-shaw does her thing teaching science or social studies, walking the never-ending-line of students to their specials (art, music, p.e., media), meet with my teammates to plan or for other reasons, talk with my intern, teach math

12:10-1:10- Kids go to lunch and recess.  I eat my lunch, make sure everything is ready for the afternoon, check my e-mail, gossip some more

1:10- 3:00- Mrs. B-shaw does her thing again during the reading and writing block.  Have to teach those budding readers and writers!


3:05- The angels leave for the day.  Every third day, my grade level team has bus duty, so we have to stay with the 3rd-5th graders until all busses are called (usually around 3:20)

4:30- Leave school for the day.  Some days it's earlier, some days it's later.  I get very easily distracted and like to chat instead of doing work, so I spend a lot more time at school than I really should need to!

Typically, I get home by 5:00.  Macey and I spend time bonding.  I take her out and feed her dinner.

5:00-6:30- Usually I spend a lot of this time relaxing and unwinding.  If I have to run errands, that usually happens during this time.  When I'm feeling motivated, this is when I go to the gym.  Next week, I am going to start tutoring a neighbor girl on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so 5:00-6:00 will be booked with that.

7:00- Kurt usually gets home around 6:30-7:00 and he starts dinner.  I hate cooking dinner.  It's one of my worst things.  If eating out wasn't so unhealthy and pricey, I'd be okay doing it every night!  Usually we eat dinner around 7:30.

7:30-9:30- Depending upon the night, different things happen during this time.  Recently, I've had my photography class on Mondays during this time.  Usually though, this is when I watch t.v, surf the web and Facebook, grade papers, and work on my National Board entries.

10:00- Typically, this is when I start getting things together for the next day and head to bed.  Recently, I've been staying up later.  I think the Olympics had a lot to do with this.  Last week, 11:00 was my bed time most nights.  That doesn't make for a happy Kate in the morning!


So, that's my typical day!  Not too exciting, but it works for me!

PS- These are the first pics I've posted from my new Canon Rebel camera!  It's awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate,
    Love this post! I laughed out loud because my hubby sets his clock 15 minutes fast too! That's sooo funny! Love your classroom and how cute taking Macy to doggie daycare! What a loved pooch! I just bought a new camera too! I haven't figured out how to use it yet LOL....it was a toss up between a Canon Rebel and a Nikon and they were out of the Canon sooo we bought the Nikon....I will let you know what I think of it once I figure it out LOL....

    Oh and I am having My first giveaway....Brighton Earrings....you should hop over and check it out....
    Have a Happy Day
    Summer :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate! Thanks for the comment! Yes the ARMT is our state test. We have Spring Break next week and then we start testing the following week. I am ready for it to be over with soon too! I LOVE my Elmo! And I am shocked that you have 27 students in your room. I have 17 and I feel like we are crammed in there. My principal fights to keep our numbers low like that though!

    ReplyDelete