Thursday, March 4, 2010

What's in a name?

A good friend and co-worker of mine just had a baby yesterday!  We're all very excited for them and happy to announce it is a healthy baby boy.  He was four weeks early, but doing really well.  Since he was early, his mom and dad hadn't yet decided on a name.  Add to that the fact that they didn't know the baby's sex beforehand and there is an entirely new spin on things--having boy names and girl names to choose from.  Now, more than 30 hours later, he still doesn't have a definite name, but there is one they are leaning towards...one that I think is really cute! 

A lot of my friends are either pregnant or have recently had babies.  While I'm not on that track right now (for at least a year or so!), I've started thinking about what I would name my kid.  A lot of the names I like (especially boy names) have already been used by friends or family members, so that would take those out of the running.  Plus, as a teacher, there are names that I would never use, just because of former students.  I think all teachers know what I'm talking about here!  Naming a kid is a very hard, but important job.  It's the name that goes on with them for the rest of their lives. 

If I had to name a kid right now (yup, just me, Kurt wouldn't be having a say in the name...just kidding, babe...kinda!), there are a few options that I would consider:

Girls:
Ella (but my family dog growing up was Ellie, so that could be kinda weird)
Madison (but a good friend already has an Addison...could get confusing!)
Layne (this is a new one...)
Madelyn (Maddie for short?)
Allison (Allie for short?)

Boys:
Ethan (not too sure how I feel about this one!)
Andrew (Andy? Drew? Already have an Andrew as a cousin though)
Aiden (feel like everyone has an Aiden now days)
Sam (not Samuel, though)
Gavin (too trendy?)
Bradley (Brad Bradshaw?  No, thanks!)

All in all, I think it is a great thing that I am not the person naming this new baby!  Clearly, one day when I have a child, it probably won't have a name for a long, long, time!  Oh and then you have to consider middle names...don't get me started on that! 

Congrats Caroline and Derek (and not-yet-named baby boy)!!

2 comments:

  1. I love the name Ella for a girl. I think it would be fun to name my future children after Texas towns like Harper and Mason for a girl and Brady and Austin for a boy. Would be fun. When my God daughter was born they had a few names picked out but did not tell anyone until after she was born. It is amazing how the name always just fits the child though because I cannot imagine her being called Taylor now. Good luck to your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on it being harder because of former students! I especially like Madison and Andrew (they are both on my list!). I like the nickname Drew. Who knows though, my favorite names constantly change!

    ReplyDelete