It's Teacher Week over at Babbling Abby. I just recently found Abby's blog through some other blogs I follow, so I thought it would be cool to link up. I actually just spent the day at my school--rearranging furniture, covering bulletin boards, laminating tons of stuff...I could go on!
Day 1 of Teacher Week is "Open House." This is a time to get to know other teachers in the blogging world. Without further ado...
10 Things About Me as a Teacher:
1. I'm entering my ninth year as a teacher. Time sure does fly! I don't feel old enough to be teaching for my ninth year!! My first two years were spent in fifth grade, followed by six years in third grade. This year, I am taking the plunge and making a big move to kindergarten. I'm excited and nervous, all in one!
2. I've taught at the same school for all nine years and don't have plans to leave anytime soon! I love my school family! I've met some of my closest friends at my school and wouldn't have it any other way.
3. In May 2008, I completed my master's degree in Educational Studies, with certificates in Gifted Education and Teacher Leadership. Right now, I'm loving being a classroom teacher, but who knows how I will feel in a few years. I think this degree gives me a few opportunities outside of the classroom, so we'll see where that leads me when the time comes. I know one thing for sure...I do not want to be a principal!
4. I completed my portfolio for the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards process in March of this year. I took the assessment in June. Now, I sit and wait...and wait...and wait until the results come out in November. Only time will tell!
5. For the past two years, I taught fifth grade math to third graders. I really enjoyed working with these super talented groups of students. Many people have their own opinions about pushing kids too hard in areas like math, but I truly feel that if they are ready, it's the right thing to do. I can confidently say that at least a few of my math students over the past two years will have jobs in math fields when they are adults. They are just math sponges!
6. Grading papers is one of my least favorite things about teaching. In fact, I hate it. I'm looking forward to not having many papers to grade in kindergarten.
7. I've known I wanted to be a teacher for a very long time, probably since I was about seven. My mom is a former teacher and I used to always go with her to school at the beginning of the year to help set up her classroom. Even at the age of nine, I was putting up bulletin board paper and borders!
8. Every year, I have had one student in my class that I've had a hard time reaching. They've all been boys, actually. It's hard to admit that I haven't always reached every student in my class. Each of those boys has, in their own way, challenged me to try new strategies and techniques as a teacher. I think I've grown from each experience, too.
9. I become a super cranky gal when the summer ends and I have to go back to school. I love my job, really I do, but I just get so accustomed to the "summer life." Once I'm back and in a routine, I'm fine; it's just that initial few days before heading back.
10. Like many school systems, ours is being affected by the economy. The budgets have been tightened, and as a result, we are not receiving our cost-of-living or step increases this year. I'll actually be making less this year than I did last year since I am no longer the third grade team leader. I'm really angry about this, but I guess I have to be thankful that I have a job. Kurt likes to remind me of this!
So, that's it from me! More to come as we celebrate Teacher Week in the blogging world!








Good luck in kindergarten! I hope you love it as much as I do! :)
ReplyDeleteI think you are gonna rock as a Kindergarten teacher I can't wait to hear how it goes and you so have to post pics of your classroom it is so super cute! I'm glad you found things at Target...I thought they had super cute stuff for classrooms for kiddos!
ReplyDeleteI liked learning new stuff about ya....I don't blame ya not wanting to be a Principal I have a neighbor who lives near me who is a Principal to a middle school and yeah it's tough....
xoxo
SUmmer
hey Kate!!
ReplyDeleteI loved your post. We have a lot in common, and thanks for your kind words on my blog.
I also turned in my portfolio in March and tested in June and am W-A-I-T-I-N-G until November. I am working to certify in ECGEN, what about you?