Saturday, April 24, 2010

All by myself

I'm not usually the type to go places and do things by myself. I like being around other people, and quite honestly, would rather be at home by myself than out in public.  Don't get me wrong, there are definitely times when I go to the mall by myself or stop at Panera Bread to get some dinner alone. I really like those times, actually, especially after a long, busy week. Last night for example, Kurt was at a hockey game, so I went (by myself!) to two of my favorite places:



I have no problem running errands by myself.  In fact, I do it quite often, and I'm fine with it.  I've never gone to a movie by myself, though, or gone to a restaurant for a meal, or a bar for a drink.  Until last night, that is.

My sister's boyfriend's band was playing at a bar in DC. The plan was for Kurt and my brother to come to the show after the hockey game, and I would meet my sister there. My sister was late, which is no surprise to anyone who knows her well!  Kurt and my brother were dealing with getting out of the game.  And there was me...waiting at the bar.  For nearly an hour and a half. 

Now, typical Kate would have:
A.) Waited in the car for someone else to get there
B.) Gone home

But I didn't.  I went right on in and pulled up a stool at the bar. I ordered my drink (a $12 orange vodka and sprite...Holy Expensive, Batman!) and sat there, sipping it slowly.  I had to be sure to get every drop outta that sucker! Eventually everyone else showed up and we went on with our night.

Maybe I've grown in my confidence about being by myself in public situations.  Maybe I just didn't care.  Whatever the reason my little head was thinking, I'm proud of myself for taking the risk...and surviving!

Am I crazy, or do others feel nervous about being in public situations (bar, restaurant, movie) on their own, too?

Now, I'm going to go pack, as I'm leaving for Ohio for the weekend.  Yes, I'm flying... All by myself!



3 comments:

  1. You go girlie! I am so proud of you! I am the same way, I don't like to go to a bar and order and wait on my friends either, I would be like you and A. sit in the car and wait or B. go home.....I am so glad you did it and had fun and holy batman on the price of that drink girl no wonder you sipped on it for an hour LOL....

    Hope the band was fab....have a great weekend
    xoxo
    Summer ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good for you! I've never done gone to a restaurant or bar by myself! But, you have had to stay in a movie theater by yourself. Remember when my filling fell out before Sex and City started? You didn't go by yourself but you've watched a movie in the theater alone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I had to overcome my fear when I traveled a lot for work and most of the time I didn't travel with anyone I knew. It was tough at first, but then I got used to it and now I love going places by myself!

    ReplyDelete